Midnight Playhouse Adventures…

Jess McGlynnMay 26, 2014

Okay, so it wasn’t exactly midnight, more like 10.30pm but on Saturday evening as we sat watching Rush Hour (oh the exciting life we lead…) torrential rain suddenly started falling and after a few minutes my Other Half turned to me, all excited and said, ‘let’s wake the kids up and take them out to the playhouse!’

I’ll admit, I shot him down initially.  I said he was mad.  I said we would all be paying the price the following day when they were grumpy and tired.  I said he’d be lucky if we managed to get them to go back to sleep.

He looked at me, with sparkling excited eyes (he’s like a big kid really!) and I relented.

It did sound a little bit fun after all.

One of my favourite sounds in the whole world is the sound of rain.  When I was a teenager my room was at the very top of our house in the attic and I loved nothing more than falling asleep to the sounds of the rain hitting the roof, or cracking my skylight open to hear it all the better.

So, we hurried outside with blankets and cushions by torchlight to make it comfy and warm, my Other Half made up some hot chocolate and we went upstairs to wake two very sound asleep children up for a midnight adventure.

Meg was wide awake straight away, bouncing with excitement, ‘can we really?’  ‘but it’s the middle of the night!’  ‘I’m so excited!’

Eli was a little bit more difficult to rouse.  He woke and nodded his consent about coming out into the playhouse for a treat but within minutes of being inside the playhouse he had snuggled up under some blankets and fallen fast asleep again!  Apparently, despite his own regular late night adventures, he’s not one for being woken up randomly by us.

Cuddling up, with our delicious hot chocolate to the sounds of the heavy drops of rain hitting the roof of the playhouse was absolutely bliss.  It was our own little family adventure and (the snores of Eli aside) I’m actually really glad we did it.

Meg was all abuzz with what had happened in the morning and it was a lovely way of making a new memory here.

Of course, now she has all kinds of grand plans to camp out in the playhouse all night long which I have very kindly volunteered her Daddy for!

Comments (7)

• Clarina85

May 26, 2014 at 07:12

This is so cute… A little adventure they won't forget!x

• Coombe Mill (Fiona)

May 26, 2014 at 07:47

Camping in the playhouse is to be encouraged, the sort of thing she will remember as she grows up and look back on fondly. Well done Daddy!

• Jocelyn (@ReadingRes)

May 26, 2014 at 07:51

Oh, wow! You are such fun parents! When my kids are asleep, we will do nothing to risk rousing them, let alone go and rouse them! Sounds like you all had a brilliant time though, and what a wonderful memory to be making 🙂

• WhoopAss

May 26, 2014 at 10:09

That's so cute. I can't imagine my kids being as excited to be taken out to a leaking shed, otherwise I'd pinch the idea 🙂

• themummydiary

May 26, 2014 at 13:46

Wow that is such a wonderful and magical thing to do, never thought of waking them up like this. Really love Meg's little face 🙂 Sounds like you had an amazing time 🙂 #magicmoments

• Let’s Talk Mommy

May 26, 2014 at 19:17

Ahh what a great spontaneous adventure to have with your kids. That's great as life really is too short not to make the most of it. What a fab idea. I admit I probably would have shot mr p down but reading this I hope I do fun spontaneous things with my kids. they will remember and cherish those memories forever. Look at your daughters face it's like she won the lottery. Amazing. What a magic moment! #magicmoment

• Merlinda Little

May 27, 2014 at 10:55

An impromptu random event in the house is really a magical moment that I am sure your kids will remember for the longest time. No I have tree house envy =P #MagicMoments