When I Grow Up…

Jess McGlynnSeptember 4, 2014

I had this idea when Meg started school last year to take a photograph of her on the first day of each school year, saying what she wanted to be when she grew up.  I meant to blog about it last September but I didn’t get chance.  The end goal is that when she is going to uni, or leaving home or whatever path she chooses to take, I can make her a little book with all the different photos and see how her opinion has changed throughout the years.

Although the change in Meg physically is massive (for starters, when did her hair get so thick?!) her ideas on what she wants to be when she gets older haven’t moved all that much.  There has just been a slight shift.

I think her choice last year was determined mostly by the accident she had over the previous summer.  Her reasoning behind it was that she wanted to help children so they didn’t have to be sad when they got hurt.

Her choice this year is a bit more like the Meg we know and understand; always trying to persuade us to adopt every animal under the sun.

Of course, I don’t know what she will eventually decide to do with her life but it will be nice to have these memories of all her aspirations and hopes as she grows up.

I am linking this post up with Share With Me and Magic Moments.

Comments (10)

• Emily Tealady

September 4, 2014 at 09:32

What a fab idea! I bet it will be lovely to look back on x

• Kim Carberry

September 4, 2014 at 20:52

Aww! What a lovely idea…..It will be so fun to look back on these photos in many years x

• kidGLloves

September 5, 2014 at 06:17

What a great idea and Meg is going to love this as she gets older #sharewithme

• Holly Hollyson

September 6, 2014 at 21:09

It is such a vast, scary thought when you approach the end of school – not knowing which career path to choose. I hope this will help to remind Meg of her passions when she was younger. It is a lovely idea!

• Super Busy Mum

September 8, 2014 at 12:21

Haha aren't kids fabulous! Although my very tom boyish daughter has always ALWAYS wanted to be a hairdresser – yet she hates doing her own hair, lol! KIds are funny and btw, SUPER cute photos of your little one. x

• normaleverydaylife

September 8, 2014 at 15:03

How sweet! These will be such precious memories to look back on. What a cutie! 🙂 #magicmoments

• Emma Lander

September 8, 2014 at 19:23

aww what a lovely idea. Won't it be lovely to look back on. I admit it though, I might copy you 🙂 I wonder what she will end up doing 😉

• Heledd

September 8, 2014 at 22:31

This post really resonates with me as my daughter Lili had her first day at school today. What a great idea! We also did pictures with a blackboard but just did the usual date etc.

Heledd

#magicmoments

• Tas D

September 9, 2014 at 06:22

This is a brilliant idea. I went through about 30 different career choices before deciding I wanted to work with computers.

• Jaime Oliver

September 14, 2014 at 18:10

awww bless her! i so love the idea behind asking the each year .. i love the reasoning behind what she want to do too!

thanks for linking up with #MagicMoments (sorry im late getting round)