I feel like I’ve been writing a lot of reviews on the blog recently, in trying to get everything out of the way before the summer holidays it has all arrived at once but this review is one I have really been excited about writing and sharing with you all.
For the past 6 months or so we have been reviewing a Young Living Essential Oils Premium Starter Kit. I had been interested in essential oils for a while; after I got ill over Christmas I began looking into ‘alternative’ options and this was something which came up a lot.
Please bear in mind that as you read this review I am not a trained doctor, nurse or medical professional, just one individual giving her own personal experience on how we have found essential oils.
So, a lovely lady I know called Lucy uses Young Living’s Essential Oils and she asked whether we would like to review a starter kit. Of course I was curious after reading so much about it online and jumped at the chance. In the spirit of being honest, James was completely dubious about the entire thing and thought that it would mostly be ‘in my head’.
The Premium Starter Kit contains everything you need to enter into the world of using essential oils bar one element: a carrier oil. I chose to buy some jojoba oil (from Amazon) initially but after discovering I was allergic to it…only after I’d put it all over my hands…we switched to coconut oil which has worked much better!
The Essential Oils Collection which is included has the following oils:-
*Peace & Calming®
You do get some other oils and products included in the kit as well which you can see if you follow the link but I will stick with these oils for now otherwise this review will get very long!
I have to admit that I felt a little overwhelmed when I received the kit initially; there is so much stuff and so much to read and I really wanted to understand and grasp what the oils could be used for…it took me about a week to read the booklet which was sent (I don’t like to do things by halves) but eventually I decided to just start out by using the Dewdrop Diffuser which is included in the kit.
You select the oils you want to use, add about 6-8 drops, turn it on and away you go. There are a number of wonderful Facebook groups in operation where you can see recommendations for combinations which work well together or you can just use trial and error.
My first thought was to use Peace & Calming® on the kids at bedtime as this is supposed to be great for helping you to wind down…but it actually had the total opposite effect on Eli and he ended up bouncing off the walls. This forced me to reconsider…would the oils actually work? A bit more research later and I began to appreciate that oils have different effects on different people; what works for one may not work for another and so on.
With James’ words ringing in my ears I decided to try again; this time on myself. I set the diffuser going before bed with some drops of lavender. I sat in the room and read for a while and then nodded off. I felt confident that it had worked but James said he had slept the same as always.
Lavender is the bees knees of the oil world. It can be used for so much so when, the following day, James burnt his finger and went to the cupboard I blocked his way. Wouldn’t it be a real test of the oils, I reasoned, to try the lavender on his burn? Begrudgingly he agreed and we diligently applied lavender oil for the next few days watching as his burn healed well and disappeared. Now, granted, if he had used a store bought product his burn would probably have healed as well but the point is about using what is a naturally resourced substance and not a factory produced one. A win for the oils!
Thieves® is the go-to oil when there are germs about so the next time the kids started sounding snuffly, I mixed some with some coconut oil and applied it to their lower backs as well as diffusing some Thieves® with Frankincense in the dewdrop diffuser. I did this a couple of times a day and whenever I could persuade Eli that I wasn’t doing something strange to him (he was most definitely on his Daddy’s side throughout). We definitely noticed a difference. What seemed like it would escalate into a full blown virus just dissipated over a couple of days. Another win!
I knew oils were becoming accepted into our every day when I had a particular negative day, for one reason and another it had been stressful and anxiety-filled and I told James I was going into the bath to try and unwind. He said he would get it ready for me and when I came up he was flicking through the oils booklet trying to find a good combination to diffuse.
Throughout the above experiences I had also been diffusing oils on a daily basis. I tried all sorts of combinations and really mixed it up to try and find my own personal preferences. I love Joy and Lavender when I am feeling stressed or anxious, Valor when I was working and needed to boost my concentration, Lemon when I was cleaning and wanted to freshen the rooms…you get the idea.
It is now part of our bedtime routine with Meg and Eli to apply Lavender and coconut oil to the bottoms of their feet (we finally convinced Eli that the oils were okay and he believe the Lavender helps him rest well so he can run fast…!), we are diffusing on a regular basis and try to turn to the oils as an initial go-to. Just this morning I applied Peppermint for a migraine I feel building…
* I am loving using the oils and I don’t think we have even scratched the surface of what the oils can be used for in our home. However, we are slowly trying to learn and understand more as I really believe they have something to offer.
* I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend to anyone the difference that oils can make; and am happy to point anyone with a genuine interest in the right direction. I have found that some oils work better for us than others and it has been a case of trying and adjusting to see what works and what doesn’t which can be quite time-consuming but I would definitely say it is beginning to pay off.
* It is also worth mentioning the cost element. On the surface, the oils can seem quite expensive, particularly the Starter Kit, but they last. You are using small drops of the oils each time and apart from Lavender we still have the majority of our initial oils left although we have been slow to use them as we wanted to try each one fully.
Have I sparked your interest? If I have, you can sign up and try out the oils for yourself by following the instructions below.
* Click here to go to the member sign-up page
* Select Retail Customer or Wholesale Member (wholesale member is the best option as you receive 24% off all purchases. You NEVER have to sell anything. There are no monthly minimums or requirements, you may just purchase the starter kit and enjoy the benefits of wholesale pricing for yourself!)
* Select your country and language
* Fill in your personal information and check the Terms & Conditions
* Select a Starter Kit (optional) – The Premium Starter kit is recommended and the best value saving you £120 compared to buying the products individually at retail price.
* You may now add any additional products to your order OR if you didn’t choose the starter kit, add any products you wish to purchase to your cart and checkout.
* All done, get excited for your oils to arrive and welcome to the family !
(If you purchase the Premium Starter Kit you will also be invited to join our private facebook group ‘Essential Families’ for support and ongoing education AND a Reference Guide App – FREE !)
Additionally, the lovely Lucy (as mentioned above) has offered a 5ml bottle of Stress Away to giveaway so you can try it out for yourself and see. I use Stress Away a lot and it is an essential oil blend which combines vanilla, lime, ocotea and other calming botanicals. It is ideal for helping to reduce anxiety or tension.
To enter just visit the Young Living website then leave me a comment below saying which oil or oil blend you think would be most beneficial to you or your family. The giveaway will end on 31st August and I will randomly select a winner from those who have entered.
If you are interested in learning more then please just drop me an email or sign up to this helpful Facebook class where you can ask all the questions you want. I will be away for a couple of weeks but I will try and get back to you asap!
I know this post has been long but honestly, it is worth the effort. We are loving the oils and would really recommend them for anyone who wants to bring a more natural element into their daily lives. I don’t even know that I’ve done them justice but I wanted to give you our honest experience and not just the hard-sell!