Siblings {February}

This month has been a bit of a learning curve for Meg and Eli; we made the decision to start sending Eli to a martial arts class rather than gymnastics, moved Meg to a different gym class and they both got separated into different swimming groups as well.

They don’t do many things after school but they are so used to spending all their free time together that it has been strange for both of them to adjust to doing something without the other one right behind them.

In other ways though it has been nice; Eli only ever really went to gymnastics because Meg did and it became more and more obvious that it wasn’t his forte whereas he’s only been to a couple of martial arts classes and already we can see that it’s much more to his tempo.  Likewise with the swimming, Meg is progressing much faster than Eli so they needed a change.

I suppose it made me contemplate the fact that as they grow older and as their differences and interests become so much more pronounced, we might see a bigger gap appearing in how much time they spend together and this tight little unit that we are so used to having around may not be seen as frequently as it is now.

Of course, that is hopefully way off in the future and even as I’m typing this, I can hear the sounds of their laughter drifting up to the study.  Star Wars is still very much flavour of the year and all their games involve some elaborately complex storyline where they each take a number of characters and play out one of the films.  I have no doubt that this half term is going to be full of pretty much the same game reenacted over and over again.

Meg still very much takes the lead and is often the one watching over Eli, reporting back if she feels he is taking things slightly off track.  Eli is much wilder than Meg; where she is cautious, he is impulsive and although it can sometimes lead to disagreements on the whole they balance each other out.

It makes me quite glad that I can now sit and enjoy a cup of tea with the television on a normal channel and know that for at least a short period of time, they can entertain themselves without needing me to step in.  However, I’m still waiting for that to happen when we are out and about; I’d love to not have to worry that Eli will have taken himself off to try out something dangerous; which is pretty much a daily occurrence at the moment!

The Me and Mine Project

1. Sara (@mumturnedmom)
    February 24, 2016 / 10:00 am

It sounds like they have such a lovely relationship, and I think that it's good when they can complement each other while having their own interests. Does make the mum taxi a bit busier though!

2. Charly Dove
    February 24, 2016 / 10:00 am

Oh this is such a lovely post Jess and what fabulous photos of the two of them together. It sounds like it's done them the world of good to be separated although great to have time as a two as well 🙂

3. February 24, 2016 / 10:00 am

It looks like you have been doing lots of exploring- gorgeous shots. I love the ones where they have their back to the camera. x

4. missingsleep
    February 24, 2016 / 10:00 am

How lovely documenting how the siblings get on, my two are mainly at war lol, but you do see odd tender moments x

5. Nell@PigeonPairandMe
    February 24, 2016 / 10:00 am

I love the fact that siblings can develop their own interests and identities while still coming back together to play and have fun. Beautiful post.

6. February 24, 2016 / 10:00 am

My two are 10 and 13 and although they used to be really close, they're more into doing their own things now which is a shame x

7. Sonia
    February 24, 2016 / 10:00 am

Lovely photos, it's such a lovely age where they can entertain them selves for a while whilst you have a cuppa isn't it x

8. February 24, 2016 / 10:00 am

As my two got older they started having separate interests but they still come together when it counts, for family movie night for example! I always tell them that having a brother / sister is a very special bond.

9. Izzie Anderton
    February 24, 2016 / 10:00 am

How fabulous to watch the two of them growing up and becoming more independent. Make the most of every minute with them, mine are all grown now and the time passes so very quickly x

10. February 24, 2016 / 10:00 am

Lovely photos – and dont worry, my brother and I have not a single thing in common as adults and are still as close as ever!

11. Globalmouse
    February 24, 2016 / 10:00 am

Yes, I'm at that point of having moments when my three are playing together and I can actually do something else….they only last about 5 minutes but they're nice when they come!! Star Wars is very much top of the play list here too! 🙂

12. Kara
    February 24, 2016 / 10:00 am

I love listening to mine making up stories together and acting them out. I normally find it works out better if they are outside though as they get shouty if indoors. Lovely to see them getting on so well

13. Nayna Kanabar
    February 24, 2016 / 10:00 am

It's so good that you have made the necessary change to benefit both your children.

14. February 24, 2016 / 10:00 am

My two are also starting to do more things separately out of school and Maxi is OK with that, but Mini really struggles not having his brother with him

15. Sarah Ebner
    February 24, 2016 / 10:00 am

Isn't it amazing seeing how they grow up – and change and develop? Your unit might change, but it will always be very special.

16. February 24, 2016 / 10:00 am

Aww how lovely, beautiful pictures and words. My daughter and son are a similar age and they get on as wonderfully too, most of the time anyway 🙂