Siblings {June}

Jess McGlynnJune 15, 2016

I think I need to have a word with Old Mister Time and tell him, kindly, to slow down.  I was writing something in my diary a few days ago and I realised that it’s only 5 weeks until the summer holidays.  Which is no time at all!

We went back to school on Monday this week after a glorious 2 weeks off and although I needed them both back and out from under my feet {the joy of being freelance means the work just piles up} the house has been so much quieter with them gone.  The weather was our best friend this break and both Meg and Eli spent every spare second they could outside soaking it up.

It was probably the first school holiday in a while where we haven’t had to resort to snuggling under blankets and watching films, trying to deal with fractious children who haven’t had enough fresh air and so on.  They had so much space to roam and they could choose to either be with each other or not; plus we enjoyed some great days out as well.

I thought that I had begun to see the gap widening a little between the two of them over the last month or so, with Meg becoming a bit more ‘grown up’ and Eli trailing behind a little but that doesn’t actually seem to be the case.  Eli has taken a huge leap in the last few months, he has come on so far with his school work and closed the gap all over again.

It might help that they have also found a new joint passion for Lego and if they aren’t outside then they are usually closeted away in someone’s room making and creating all kinds of wonderful items.

Something like Lego does tend to bring out the differences in their personalities though; Meg likes to follow instructions and have everything just right whereas Eli just wants a something.  He will take a few bricks, stick them together and tell you its a spaceship and a spaceship it is.  Meg can’t handle that and will spend hours crafting her perfect model.  It’s a good lesson in patience and embracing differences {or so I keep telling them!}

And that really has been our month.  Certainly more laid back than May, with some sunshine and outdoor play, Lego building and lots of sibling loving taking place.  Couldn’t really ask for better!

The Me and Mine Project

Comments

• Cass@TheDiaryofaFrugalFamily

June 20, 2016 at 08:23

What lovely photos and such a pretty setting to have took them in x x

• Whitney | Afro Mermaid

June 20, 2016 at 08:23

Lovely picture! Aren't they adorable. I can't believe how fast summer has come around.

• Sonia

June 20, 2016 at 08:23

Adorable pictures, they look like they love each other very much x

• Kara

June 20, 2016 at 08:23

Very envious of your two weeks off. They are very photogenic and glad you have managed to get out and about

• Jen Walshaw

June 20, 2016 at 08:23

Oh the joy of two weeks off rather than one. I love that first photo of the two of them together. My boys are either best of friends or they hate each other.

• Cariemay

June 20, 2016 at 08:23

Oh what gorgeous pictures of the pair of them! It sounds like it was the perfect sort of half term, and lovely that it comes at a time when they're so close

• Niki

June 20, 2016 at 08:23

Gorgeous photos! Time really does go by too quickly, I can't believe it's nearly summer holidays, and then September seems just around the corner!

• Sarah Ebner

June 20, 2016 at 08:23

Absolutely love these pictures – very, very special. And glad you could enjoy the outdoors too!

• JuggleMumBlog

June 20, 2016 at 08:23

Aww – hugs with your brother / sister – how lovely! These are beautiful photos for you to treasure.

• Coombe Mill (Fiona)

June 20, 2016 at 08:23

It's funny how they grow apart a little and then back together again as each develops at a different rate. I see the same pattern with my children. The biggest change comes when the eldest moves schools. It feels like a gulf opens up but it does close again in time. Lovely photos from your outdoor half term week, like you we had the good weather then too. Do join me for Country Kids.

• Anne

June 20, 2016 at 08:23

Beautiful photos, it's always good to get out and about in the sunshine. It's wonderful when your children are able to have fun together. We have lots of arguments over the lego in our house.

• angela

June 20, 2016 at 08:23

What beautiful photographs, nice to see the good weather was around for you

• Erica Price

June 20, 2016 at 08:23

Such lovely photos of the pair of them together in the woods.

• Colette B

June 20, 2016 at 08:23

The sunshine really was glorious over the half term wasn't it – I'm not naive enough to think we will get a summer holiday like that but if we can get enough days here and there to prevent cabin fever I'll be happy!
    LEGO is a more solitary activity in our house which my boy tends to retreat to when he's had enough of his sisters 😉

• Beautyqueenuk

Aw what beautiful photos, especially the one of them hugging each other <3 x

• Oana79

July 14, 2016 at 17:36

It is lovely to read blog posts like this one! Your kids are beautiful, you should be very proud.xx

• Carolynne @ Mummy Endeavours

July 14, 2016 at 17:36

Aww it's horrible that time passes so fast and we see our children growing up in such a short time. Not fair. got to make the absolute most of it. Lovely photo's x